Stanford Engagement Session | Robin y Matt, California

This Stanford engagement session with Robin and Matt was our second shoot in the San Francisco area last weekend, and after having finished looking through the photos from both, I can now safely say that I want to move to California and take pictures there ALL THE TIME. What they say is true — the light really is insane and I also think that being in a new place really had both Seba and I feeling inspired.

Last weekend was all about ghosts of bridesmaids past — we met Robin and Matt at Erin and her Matt’s NYC wedding earlier this year. I love working with people we’ve met at past weddings, for one, because I already know we like each other — but in this particular case even more so, because I already know that Robin and Matt’s wedding is pretty much guaranteed to be a good time. I’ve seen how they and their friends and family get down :)

Not to mention, when Robin showed me her emerald engagement ring and told me about their non-proposal love story, I felt like she was speaking my language (says the girl with the sapphire wedding ring). It really makes me happy when couples aren’t afraid to have a wedding that may differ from the norm…but completely fits their personality. I won’t give away any of the details since they’re not mine to share, but let me say that September 17th, 2011, will be EPIC. I can’t wait!

The infamous California light in action. Dreamy.

I love the way Robin is looking at Matt in this photo. Beautiful, a little romantic, but fun and not sappy. I told you, she’s my kind of bride.

This one puts a smile on my face every time I look at it!

Obviously we had to take advantage of all the crazy cool arches everywhere. I thought a little off-camera lighting would add some good drama and it did. I LOVE how this next one came out!

Robin and Matt in front of The Tower! Iconic. Yeah, that’s me trying to pretend I actually knew it was iconic before last Sunday.

Gorgeousness. One of my favorites below. Shot by Seba, of course.

And then I can’t decide which ones are my actual favorites. I’m madly in love with the next two shots as a series. MADLY.

Buuuuut, I think this next one might take the cake. I absolutely ADORE every single thing about this entire photo. This ones getting blown up huge when we get back to Chile. Is it strange that I’m going to have a wall full of photos that I love of other people?

Comments

1. Joseph says:

Kyle, I love these pictures! I’ve loved coming back to your blog and seeing what you’ve conjured up for us and your perfect clients!

2. Love the light under those arches Kyle!

3. Andi says:

Looooooooooove the light!!! It’s just perfect for you and your amazing eye. That last one is definitely 10/10! I also very much love the pic of them walking. :)

4. Lucie says:

Love love LOVE!!! So dreamy and romantic and I love the setting with those cool old buildings and the green vines everywhere! BEautiful!

5. Wow, that last shot is pretty amazing. You can see that your clients are relaxed and extremely comfortable with you as it shows in all your images. Not an easy thing to achieve. Nicely done, once again.

Oh good, I like this move to California plan! I think we can find enough pretty places in the rest of the state to keep you guys occupied and inspired for quite a while.

7. Lana says:

You have to see more of California! After three years in San Diego, I still wasn’t done being a tourist.. I’ve gotta go back!
    I love the shot taken from above of them walking.

8. Robin says:

Ooo – that last one! These are all great, but that one is just stunning. I also adore the scrunchy-faced one. The light is so gorgeous and warm in the sunny ones, but wow! the darker ones in the archways turned out so cool. Thank you so much. :-D

9. I love the backlit shots! That is a great look. They must love them!

10. Nadine says:

Kyle! You so ridiculously creative and artistic! Really artistic shots.

11. seth says:

I love your strobe work! That last photo is a classic.

12. Shella says:

Love the bicycles shot!

13. Susie says:

Kyle, amazing work as always. This couple looks so much in love and you caught it perfectly.

14. Becca Dilley says:

Beautifully – I love that you have so many photos of them interacting in interesting ways. Cool shoot.

15. Steve Koo says:

Lovely work, as always, Kyle!

16. Deece says:

Nice pictures. Brightening my day. Of course, the subject matter makes it easy. Thanx

17. Mark says:

Seriously great set, but those flare shots are insane!!

18. Rita says:

Aw, this couple looks so natural. I love the ones of them from above while they’re walking, the viny one and of course that very last shot. So cool!

19. Deidre says:

Hah, I love that you’ll have a whole wall of pictures of other people. That’s awesome. It’s kind of like when you buy a frame from a store but instead of putting a photo of your life in, keeping the “photoframe” photo in it!

20. Emma says:

The light is so gorgeous out here it’s so true! i don’t know what it is, but it’s amazing and as usual you did an awesome job of capturing it.

21. Flo says:

Oh my God her eyes!!! The way she looks at him just moved me. The pictures are AMAZING as usual and the place is beautiful!!!
    Loved this couple, all the best to them (and all the others, of course)

22. Erin Lubman says:

My Matt, Robin and I all met in California – I miss it so much! I hadn’t even thought about the light but you’ve captured it perfectly!

23. Shannon says:

Nifty to think that you were at Stanford — we can see Hoover tower from our house. And we certainly don’t mind having pictures taken of us (http://www.sfweekly.com/slideshow/ihelp-for-autism-30759734/).

Books: I always recommend Cryptonomicon. And Midnight’s Children. Servants of the Map is lovely and lyrical. Octavia Butler’s Parable of the Talents/Parable of the Sower is all about California – post apocalypse, to make you pine for our Golden State a bit less even as you can’t put the book down. Marvelous but brutal. And if you’ve never read Annie Dillard’s Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, well. It’s time.

Those two sunflare shots above the staircase shot are simply perfect. AWESOME!

Trackbacks

1. [...] Erin and Matt are having (maybe have had, any day now) a baby and one of their best friends, Robin is engaged with her wedding right around the corner, which we’ll be shooting in September. So [...]